Thursday, June 13, 2013

Grown-Up Gluten-Free PB & J



Grown-Up Gluten-Free PB & J
making an old favorite new again

If I've learned anything since starting this blog, it's that keeping certain ingredients on hand--Craisins, chopped nuts, coconut, fresh fruits and vegetables--can make gluten-free eating significantly more enjoyable. With just a little creativity and a good dose of gourmet bravery, you can break up your routine and enjoy food again. This sandwich is the perfect example.

My son has requested "peanut butter and jelly" almost every day for the past few weeks, and every once in a while I like to indulge him. At the same time, I like us to share our meals, and I need a little more than jelly and peanut butter to get me excited about lunch. 

Enter the following ingredients to the rescue:

  • gluten-free bread, toasted*
  • peanut butter**
  • your choice of jam or honey
  • fresh banana slices
  • slivered almonds
  • shredded coconut
*My favorites are Glutino's Flaxseed and Grains For Life's Millet & Brown Rice. Gluten-free bread always tastes better toasted.
**JIF is labeled gluten-free

Assemble all ingredients in the order listed above.

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I will try to reply to your comment prior to my next post. Happy blogging!