Monday, July 8, 2013

Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free Coconut Ice Cream Recipe Review


Coconut Ice Cream Recipe Review
WARNING: Deliciousness ahead!

I recently tried this recipe for dairy-free, gluten-free coconut ice cream from Sandi's Allergy Free Recipes, and--WOW--am I glad I did. It was easy-to-make, required few ingredients, and tasted oh-so-good. If you have the double-whammy of a gluten-free and dairy-free diet, it is definitely worth checking out.


The ingredients:
  • canned coconut milk
  • honey (or desired sweetener)
  • vanilla extract
  • egg yolks
  • sea salt
And a few notes:
  1. The recipe directs you to refrigerate the canned coconut milk overnight before using it. Make sure the cans are unopened when you do this, or the milk won't set up correctly (FYI: This is also true if you are looking to make the "coconut whipped cream" that is all over Pinterest). Personally, I used one unopened chilled can and one open chilled can, and it turned out just fine.
  2. I used regular old sugar rather than honey. I am too cheap (and lazy?) for any fancy sweeteners, and I don't mind refined sugar.
  3. I completely forgot to add vanilla extract and sea salt. Oops. It still tasted great.
  4. The recipe calls calls for egg yolks, and I immediately wondered why you couldn't just use whole eggs. I did a quick Google search, and the short answers are a) It's tradition b) Egg whites taste "eggy" c) Egg whites contain water, which may lead to ice crystals in your ice cream.

Enjoy!

I know my pint-sized sous chef and I certainly did!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I will try to reply to your comment prior to my next post. Happy blogging!